Thursday, January 31, 2008

Suprisingly lewd and reprobate comments made by administration

Hey. I want to write about an article that was found in today's Tower. As you may know the Tower is our high school's newspaper. This week there was a new look. They got a new printer, and their picture quality has gone down. I'm not complaining because they have more space for articles but this really isn't what I want this post to be about. This post is about some statements that were made by a member of the GP South administration that I personally consider to be extremely offensive and discriminatory. On the front page of today's Tower there is an article entitled, "GONE: GSA dissolves at South". The Gay-Straight Alliance was a group that helped the gay community by providing a forum for people the GLBTQ community to voice their views, and educate the public on gay rights and the gay movement. Unfortunately, not everyone was supportive of this club. Assistant Principal Michele Yankee's blatant comment, "Nobody cared about the GSA" will certainly get her into trouble. It's lewd and inflammatory comments such as this that inspired the gay community to create these types of programs in the first place. I have a very close friend who happens to be lesbian, and the fact that she cannot be represented is very disappointing. I find it disgusting that a member of a school administration thinks that she has the right to make comments like these. I certainly hope that next week, she writes into the Tower apologizing for the comments that she has made. Otherwise, I will certainly present this to the school board because of the nature of her comments. I consider them to be very close minded and bigoted. Towards the end of the article she says, "I don't think anybody realizes that it's not running." She also says, "You can't be focused on such a small issue that only pertains to a few people or else no one will support it." Is she saying that just because the GSA only focuses on GLBTQ issues, no one will or perhaps should support it?? If you are reading this Ms. Yankee, I certainly hope that you take these comments seriously because when one makes peremptory and bullheaded comments, you just lead people to believe that you are an obdurate person, and no one wants that kind of person in a position of power. I will try to keep you all updated on any further developments.

1 comment:

Bill said...

This was AMAZINGLY well written, if I say so myself! :)