Sunday, September 19, 2010

My trip to the country part two

This is a continuation of the story that I started yesterday.  I decided to break it up because it was so long.

Well we drove into Middleton's and I noticed a couple that looked about retirement age.  They advised me that there were no pre-picked berries and that I would have to pick the raspberries myself.  Obviously I was not going to do this in the rain so I decided to buy some pie pumpkins and some green peppers.  The green peppers that I picked out were 3 for a dollar and the pie pumpkins that I picked out were 1 dollar each.  I actually cut up one of the pumpkins today.  It was delicious.

After Middleton's, we headed back to Cook's Farm Dairy to pick up a half gallon of ice cream to take home with us.  Both my parents and I ended up buying a half gallon of Pumpkin Crunch.  That ice cream was the fluffiest ice cream that I have ever tasted.  Well after that we were going to head home, but I suggested that we drive around for a bit, just to enjoy the drive.

We passed a road that I recognized the name of, and I remarked upon that, and my dad said that he also remembered that name.  We turned down the road and realized that some friends of ours live on that road.  We had a brief debate in the car whether to drive up their driveway and ring the doorbell and ultimately decided to do so.  I got out of the car and rang their doorbell and sure enough the wife was home.  She invited us in, and we asked to make sure that we were not being a nuisance by just dropping in unannounced(we live so far away from them that it's rare that we see them).  She said that she was just reading a book and that we should come in.  So we came in and chatted for a good hour.  Her husband and son came home at that point and we explained that we were in the neighborhood.

We learned from the son that some mutual friends of ours were also going to be briefly stopping by, so someone went out for pizza and we had an impromptu pizza party at their house.  Our mutual friends eventually had to leave, and we stayed around to chat.  We had a great time until it became time to head home.  By that time it was after 9, so it really was a full day out in the country.  Since I don't get out of my apartment that often, I really cherish little trips that those.

I'll keep you posted on my activities.

No comments: