Friday, March 20, 2009

Brit Lit Outside Reading Book

Hey guys.  Today I thought that I would take some time to talk about a book that I'm reading right now.  Three times a year, my Brit Lit class chooses a book to read.  This time we can choose any book by a contemporary British author.  Naturally, half of the kids chose Harry Potter, but because I have read all of the books, I chose "A Darkling Plain" by Philip Reeve.
The Book is the fourth in a series called The Hungry City Chronicles.  I have read the first three books before this, so this book was a natural choice.  The first book entitled "Mortal Engines" follows Tom Natsworthy as he adventures through a somewhat dystopian wold in the year 3500.  In the first book, he meets Hester, a troubled young lady with a sketchy past.
By the fourth book, Tom and Hester have fallen in love, settled down in Alaska and had a daughter named Wren.  After they had Wren, Hester ran off to join a revolutionary militant organization.  Tom and Wren have left Alaska to go on a trading ship.  Keep in mind that I'm on page 30 of 559, so I have lots left to read.

No comments: