Saturday, March 28, 2009

AIG Bonuses: My Thoughts

I'm aware that this is old news, but this is the only time I could squeeze it in.  I wanted to use this post to just rant about the ridiculous bonuses that AIG executives gave themselves this January.  In case you didn't know, AIG is an insurance company that has been hit hard by the recent economic downturn.  They were bailed out by the Federal Government who now owns 80% of the company. Well anyway, the CEO gave himself a multimillion dollar "retention bonus".  He also gave several other employees multimillion dollar bonuses.  Meanwhile, he is insisting that layoffs are absolutely necessary.  This is absolutely wrong, but to make matters worse, the money he gave himself came from the US taxpayer funded bailout of the company!  Naturally, after public outcry, he gave most of the money back and urged that his co-executives do the same.  My opinion: He should be fired from AIG immediately.

No comments: