Saturday, February 25, 2006

I'm all Google, but formerly Yahoo!

I wanted to continue where I was going on the last post, because I was having some fun talking about I have Gmail(Google Mail must be the full name, although they never use Google Mail). I use Google's search engine, which was hard to change from Yahoo! just because of the habit. Now I use Google Personalized Home-page instead of My Yahoo!. It is actually kind of interesting. From my observations, "Yahoo!" is going down because of all of the new Google innovations. I'm really impressed with Google, because their innovations are creating competition with Yahoo! in areas that Yahoo! once had no competitors that were actually a threat. Now Google is coming in and forcing Yahoo to come out with lots of innovations that their budget cannot compensate for. The tables have turned. Instead of Google trying to keep up with Yahoo!, now Yahoo! is trying desperately to keep up with Google. Another example of Yahoo! now trying to keep up with Google is that they have now renamed their Mail service Y! Mail. Sad huh? Oh well.
I just love Google for their creative and unconventional approach of doing business. Where Yahoo! is very serious about their legal terms, Google is more about putting a bit of fun on their web-services. They have funny messages in the Gmail interface, where you can bet that there are no jokes in the Yahoo! Mail interface.
Keep in mind that Yahoo! still has "more then 50 million accounts open" according to Yahoo!. That is still A LOT more then Google, but give them time :) they'll catch up! I jumped on the bandwagon before the train left the station too, and I'm not trying to advertise for Yahoo! or Google, but I wanted to talk about my experience with both services.
I want to point out that Y! Mail is not in beta, whereas Gmail is in its Beta phase. Beta is a computer means that technically it hasn't come out to the general public yet. Even though I have it, and can give it to anyone, it doesn't mean that it is officially available. Beta is a way of saying that there ae still bugs in the service that need to be fixed before the official release. So if there is a problem with Gmail, which there aren't(which makes one wonder why it's still in Beta, but I'm glad that it's private, because it makes me feel cool having something that is not available for the public), it is to be expected, but if there is a problem with Y! Mail, I get frustrated, because they "took the problems out" when they took off the Beta "stamp" ten years ago!
Ok, so now I want to talk about my experience with Yahoo has been odd. I have not enjoyed the bugs with the Java interface that appear when I log in at school. But I do enjoy the extra features like different color schemes. That's nice.
I have had my Gmail account for a shorter time than I have had my Yahoo!, so it still seems new to me. But that could also be because they unveil a new feature almost every week. Gmail is great because I don't have any problems with Gmail's Java interface at school, because it works with the firewall instead of against it. I find that that part of Gmail is really worth getting. Just for that feature alone. But Gmail has always increased their features very fast, and so I would like to note that even though I like Yahoo! mail I like Gmail more.
Thank you and remember to read the archives!

No comments: